There is nothing more frustrating then getting out of an Uber watching it drive away and then remembering you left something behind.
Damn. Won’t be getting that back.
Uber has officially released its Lost & Found Index, a list of items that were lost by passengers, reports WalesOnline.
Among the items forgotten by passengers this year were false teeth, an electric scooter, a violin, retainers in a piece of tissue, a cat cage, a black metal candelabra and even a small wardrobe.
Meanwhile in the US, 22 bundt cakes, a pan of macaroni cheese, a dog’s ashes, a prosthetic leg and a can of crab meat were left behind on trips taken using the Uber app.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, mobile phones were the most forgotten possession on trips taken using the Uber app in the UK this past year, with wallets, bags, keys and clothing making up the top five.
The most forgetful city
London was the UK’s most forgetful city, with thousands of items left behind. Saturday and Friday were the top days (in that order) for items to be reported as forgotten, with 11am the time most Brits are likely to leave the vehicle without their possessions.
Every trip booked using the Uber app is GPS-tracked to ensure there is a record of the licensed driver, passenger and journey, making it easy to track down a lost item.
Passengers who leave their items behind on a journey can immediately contact their driver through the Uber app. What’s more, your number will be anonymised so can get in touch without sharing any personal information.
Additionally, Uber’s support team is available 24 hours a day through the ‘Help’ section of the app or the customer support line in the event the passenger is unable to contact the driver.
Ash Kebriti, Uber UK general manager, said: “We’ve all had that sinking feeling when you realise you have left something behind, but by taking a trip via the Uber app, it is easy to contact your driver and arrange your item’s safe return.
“So whether you’ve dropped your phone by accident or misplaced your wallet after heading out to the pub, there is no need to worry.”
The 20 most unique items left behind on Uber journeys in the UK this year
- Small wardrobe
- Retainers in piece of tissue
- Black metal candelabra
- Fold-up chair
- PS4 controller
- Le Creuset frying pan
- Silk nightwear
- Two skateboards
- Medium-sized gold hoop earring
- False teeth
- Blow dryer
- Plastic trophy
- Electric scooter
- Men’s black Prada trainers (size 7)
- Cat cage
- Motorcycle helmet (Black)
- A pair of Uggs
How to retrieve an item you’ve left behind on a trip booked using the Uber app
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Scroll down and tap “Find lost item”
- Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap submit.
- If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number instead (you can do this by logging into your account on a computer, or using a friend’s phone).
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you.
- If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you.
Keep up with all of the latest local news with our daily newsletter