Do you love you? Do you like you? Are you the person that you would most like to be? What is your relationship like with you?Day after day we engage in a very important relationship – the one that we have with ourselves. And, with each moment that passes we make choices based on our dreams, hopes, needs, wants, thoughts and feelings. When these choices are based on having a loving relationship with yourself and feeling good in your body, you radiate wellbeing and a zest for life!
Enjoy these 7 top tips to becoming more body confident
1. Accept yourself.This doesn’t mean that you give up caring about how you are – it means you care more! When you accept something, it means that you have it. By having it you can work with it. Many people never accept themselves in any way, shape or form and as such live in a constant denial of who they really are. Acceptance is one of the first steps to really building sustainable body confidence.
2. Never compare yourself with anyone else.They have their unique journey and so do you. If you are ever tempted to judge someone as being better than you in any way say quietly to yourself, “They’re amazing and so am I!”
3. Rescript your life!Choose the kind of words that you would love to feel and experience every day. Make positive grateful statements or affirmations for having already achieved all that you want in the “NOW” tense. For example, “I am so grateful that I am full of health & vitality!” or, “My body is my greatest friend. Read your new life script every day and allow yourself to really feel the joy of how this would feel. Repeat daily with enthusiasm!
4. Write a body appreciation journal.Every single day write three to five things that you appreciate about your body. Try to come up with different things every day. Do this for a minimum of three weeks and watch your confidence soar! This simple exercise can be a game changer!
5. Build a picture of what body confidence looks and feels like.Ask yourself the following coaching questions:
If I were more body confident what would be different about my life?
If I were really happy in my skin, what would I say about myself and others?
What kind of thoughts might, I think?
What kind of feelings would I notice more of?
What would I be doing or experiencing that I’m not doing now?
Build a new “blueprint” of what this more confident you look and feels like.
6. Smile and change your body posture.Observe how you habitually stand, move and sit. Just the simple act of changing how we move, sit, breathe and stand can have a powerful effect on boosting our self and body confidence.
Draw your shoulders back and down, lift your chest, smile, lengthen your spine, relax your jaw, fingers and allow your hips to soften. This helps to put you in the best position (literally) to manage life’s events.
7. Declare that you are fabulous!Every single day, upon awakening, smile broadly, lift your arms into the air and say out loud to the Universe, “I am fabulous!” And, if you listen closely, you might just hear the Universe, whispering back, “Yes, you are!”
Article by Astrid Longhurst, life & body confidence expert, coach and author of Romancing your body: How to fall deeply, passionately and wildly in love with your body and your life!