THE 2020-21 season could be over for Cirencester Town, Slimbridge, Evesham United and Cinderford Town.
THE Southern League has extended the suspension of the 2020-21 season until March 6 – and are recommending that the campaign should be scrapped.
A statement issued by the League also says clubs will shortly be asked by the FA for their views on the season as a whole – but add that the view of the league board is that the season should end and be declared null and void.
The statement said: “The Board of the Pitching In Southern Football League has, together with its fellow Trident Leagues, reviewed the implications of the latest government lockdown.
“The matter was also discussed at length by the FA’s Alliance Committee earlier this week.
“In order to reach a decision that will apply across Steps 3 and 4 in the National League System, and which is informed by the views of all clubs at Steps 3 and 4, clubs will shortly be asked by the Football Association to provide views on whether the 2020/21 season should be terminated and, if not, what the alternative should be.
“This will take the form of a short survey. Independent of that survey, all three of the Trident League’s boards hold the view that the season should cease immediately and be declared null and void.
“The ultimate decision lies with the FA Council, following a proposal made by the Alliance Committee but no proposal will be drafted until clubs’ views have been collated and assessed.
“In the meantime, the Pitching In Southern Football League is postponing all fixtures up to and including Saturday March 6 since there is no suggestion that the national lockdown will be lifted prior to said date.
“The league will continue to provide its member clubs with updates as and when it is able to do so.”
Clubs lower down the Pyramid, at Steps 5 and 6 which includes the Hellenic League, are also set to be surveyed for their views on the fate of the season.
In a letter to the step 5 and 6 Leagues, FA Leagues Committee chairman Mark Frost said: “ It is apparent to us all, that with the current restrictions in place any resumption of the NLS in a manner that provides the clubs with safety coupled with the ability to admit supporters and to have secondary spend, means that completing the 2020/2021 season is becoming increasingly doubtful.
“We are mindful that the clubs and yourselves need to be advised as to what our plans are to see if there is any possibility to play out this season, or alternatively to be able to advise as to how and when this season is concluded.
“To this end, we decided that as with Steps 3 and 4, we will be issuing via yourselves a survey for the clubs to complete that will give us the information that we can consider to assist us making our recommendation to FA Council as to how we conclude the season.
“To be clear, within the survey we are not asking the clubs to vote on any specific decision, we are simply using the survey to gather the views of the clubs.
“We are mindful from information coming back to us from yourselves that extending the season into June would not be feasible. We can advise that this is also the view of the Step 3 and 4 Leagues.
“We will send a copy of the survey to you for your boards to have advance sight of the survey, before its publication via yourselves to the clubs, which will be sent shortly.
“Once we have received the results, the Leagues Committee will meet and make its decision upon a recommendation to FA Council. We will then call a meeting of the Step 5 and 6 Leagues to advise you as to our decision.
“The County FAs will be liaising with the Regional Feeder Leagues as to how they may decide what is the best options for themselves to conclude their seasons.”