A man was rescued from inside his smoke-filled home after neighbours heard his smoke alarm sounding this morning.
Burnt cooking sparked a blaze in the kitchen, which filled the home in Dysons Close, Measham, with smoke.
After noticing the alarm sounding and smelling smoke, others in the street called Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service just before 8am this morning and two crews from Ashby and Swadlincote were sent to the scene.
Want to know what’s happening with crime in Leicestershire? Get a free daily newsletter – plus breaking news alerts too.
Just sign up to our email newsletter service. Simply type your email address into the ‘sign up to free daily alerts’ at the top of this article.
Click ‘subscribe’ and you can expect your first newsletter at the next release.
Alternatively, click here to sign up online – or join more than 35,000 others in our dedicated Leicestershire crime Facebook group.
Two firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the property and rescued the man from inside. The fire service called East Midlands Ambulance Service to the scene to treat him. The extent of his injuries are not yet known.
In a further message at 8.30am this morning, the fire service said the smoke alarms inside the property had been critical in alerting neighbours to the fire.
The service said in a tweet: “We’ve just rescued somebody who was asleep and had left food cooking in the grill.
“A neighbour heard the smoke alarm and made a call to us.
“Smoke alarms save lives. Remember to test yours weekly and don’t cook if you’re tired or you’ve had a drink.”