A Coventry hospital has been named among the first to receive the coronavirus vaccine when mass-immunisation begins next week.
Across the UK, there are now 50 ‘hospital hubs’ set-up to receive the jab from Pfizer and BioNTech, after it was approved for clinical use by regulators.
That could mean the first people are given vaccines from as early as Monday.
One of the hospitals listed earlier today (December 2), is University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire, in Coventry.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock described it as a ‘monumental step forward’ in the country’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
According to the NHS, all Trusts will need to have a plan to vaccinate their workforce, and the preparations that need to be made locally will differ:
- For Trusts who are also a NHS Trust Vaccine Hub your plans must cover how you will vaccinate your own workforce and how you will support neighbouring trusts to vaccinate their workforce.
- For all other Trusts your plan must cover how you will work with your nearest hub to vaccinate your workforce if required, and how you would deliver the vaccine within your trust should this become possible. We are continuing to explore all available options to safely deliver the first available vaccine to all Trusts.
Vaccines will also be administered at local GP surgeries and in pharmacies, and then at mass vaccine centres, which will be set up as more doses arrive in the country.
Mr Hancock said the UK will receive 40 million doses of the vaccine over the coming months, enough for 20 million people to receive the necessary two jabs.
He said batch testing for the first deployment of 800,000 doses of the vaccine was completed this morning.
These hospitals will be first to receive the vaccine
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
- Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals
- Cambridge University Hospitals
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital
- Countess of Chester Hospital
- Croydon University Hospital
- Dartford and Gravesham Hospitals
- Dorset County Hospitals
- East and North Hertfordshire Hospitals
- East Kent Hospitals
- East Suffolk and North Essex Hospitals
- Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Gloucestershire Hospitals
- Great Western Hospitals
- Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust
- James Paget University Hospitals
- Kings College Hospital
- Princess Royal University Hospital, Kings
- Lancashire Teaching Hospital
- Leeds Teaching Hospital
- Leicester Partnership NHS Trust
- Liverpool University Hospitals
- Medway NHS Foundation Trust
- Mid and South Essex Hospitals
- Milton Keynes University Hospital
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
- Northampton General Hospital
- North Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- North West Anglia Foundation Trust
- Nottingham University Hospitals
- Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Portsmouth Hospital University
- Royal Cornwall Hospitals
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
- Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
- Sherwood Forest Hospitals
- Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust
- Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
- St George’s University Hospitals
- The Newcastle Upon Type Hospitals
- University College Hospitals
- University Hospitals Birmingham
- University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire
- University Hospitals Derby Burton
- University Hospitals of North Midlands
- University Hospitals Plymouth
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals
- Walsall Healthcare
- West Hertfordshire Hospitals
- Wirral University Teaching Hospital
- Worcestershire Acute Hospitals
- Yeovil District Hospital