A 10-year-old boy re-lived the terror of having his throat viciously slashed open by a knifeman who targeted him in the street.
Carlos Racitalal is on trial for the attempted murder of the boy – as well as a 77-year-old man, a mother who was allegedly knifed in the head in Doncaster Road, Belgrave, and a five-year-old girl, who was knocked down by a car in an alleged hit-and-run.
The jury in his trial was today shown a police video of the child’s account of what happened.
The boy said he was standing on a pavement as his mum was parking her car in Leicester’s Belper Street, in Belgrave, shortly after 5pm on Saturday January 18.
He then demonstrated how the attacker touched his left shoulder from behind, before putting his right arm around his neck and swiftly drawing a knife back across his throat.
The boy demonstrated the slicing movement on himself, with his hand against his neck – before standing behind a seated police woman to again re-enact the shoulder grab and sweeping motion used by the knifeman.
CCTV OF ATTACK ON PENSIONER
The jury at Leicester Crown Court had earlier watched shocking footage of a suspect, also alleged to be Racitalal, attacking a 77-year-old man in Dean Street, Belgrave, two days earlier, at about 2pm.
The pensioner was on his way home from a local shop when the assailant swung out with a knife as they passed on the pavement.
The suspect then rapidly followed up with further repeated strikes to the alleged victim’s head from behind, causing several wounds.
Racitalal 33, formerly of Finsbury Road, Belgrave, denies four charges of attempted murder and three related counts of knife possession, all in January. He claims he was not the knifeman.
The prosecutor, Christopher Donnellan QC, alleges they were all random, but “deliberate and calculated” unprovoked attacks, apparently without a motive.
WHAT THE BOY SAID
The 10-year-old boy told the officer interviewing him in the video that he saw a man approaching on the pavement, and said: “I thought there was something suspicious about him.”
He added the man was right behind him when he touched his left shoulder with one hand.
The boy said: “I was kind of like, scared.”
He claimed the man drew “a long knife” – estimated in court to be eight to 10 inches long – across his neck, which felt “quite sharp.”
The man fled and the boy ran to his mother, in her nearby car, for help.
‘SOMEONE STABBED ME’
The child’s mother said, in a statement read out by the prosecutor: “My son was crying and there was so much blood.
“He said ‘It’s hurting, mum, someone stabbed me’ and was holding his neck.
“His T-shirt was covered in blood.
“I was very frightened and stopped my car in the middle of the street and grabbed him.”
When she screamed a number of people rushed to help.
‘VERY LARGE DEEP CUT’
She said: “My son said: ‘It’s hurting, it’s burning, something will happen with me, mum save me, save me.’ “
The mother added: “I didn’t know at the time how bad the injury was – a very large deep cut to his neck and he’s had to have surgery to fix it.
“I don’t understand how someone could stab a 10-year-old child.
“I’ve no idea who has done this or why?”
‘HE DIDN’T SAY A SINGLE WORD’
In a video police statement, also shown in court, the 77-year-old alleged victim, who previously suffered a stroke and had other health issues, said of his assault: “He came behind me and then something sharp hit my head.
“I tried to defend myself. He didn’t say a single word. He ran towards the end of the road and hid behind a wall.
“I said ‘stop, I want to talk to you’ … he ran off.”
The injured pensioner was found by chance, by one of his regular carers, who was driving by, saw him covered in blood and took him home.
He lost two pints of blood, suffered three head wounds and three slice-cuts running the full length of his left index finger.
The alleged victim needed multiple stitches and a was in hospital for several days.
The trial continues.