With football and the wider world still in the grips of the COVID-19 pandemic, there still remains a huge element of uncertainty about when fans might be able to make a return.
Originally, the idea had been that fans would return from October 1st, plans that have since been shelved.
Now, a government minister has told fans up and down the country that just because that plan hit the buffers, there is still work going on.
Sky Blues fans remain completely unsure as to when they might get back to St Andrew’s to watch the team, or further down the line, the Ricoh Arena.
Culture secretary Oliver Dowden says now is not the time to give a potential date for fans to return to football.
Plans were originally in place to see fans return to stadiums from October 1 but a rise in coronavirus cases put a stop to that.
Why should you sign up?
In our daily Sky Blues bulletin, we’ll be bringing you the latest breaking news, transfer features and comment pieces, as well as the key talking points for fans.
How do you sign up?
It’s easy and only takes seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit sign up.
If you decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails, simply follow the unsubscribe link in one of the newsletters – but we don’t think you’ll want to.
And what’s more, it’s absolutely free!
You can also get all the latest updates by following us on social media here Facebook and Twitter.
We also have a free app which you can download here. It is always up-to-date with the latest news from across the region.
It has plunged many EFL and non-league clubs into financial uncertainty but, speaking on BBC Breakfast, Dowden said the government cannot commit to allowing fans back into games in the short-term.
He said: “That was the plan and that’s something we ideally wanted to happen and had been working towards.
“We’d gone through this phased reopening of football.
“For example, very early on, football was one of the first sports to return behind closed doors, we facilitated that with games free-to-view on the BBC and others.
“The next stage was due to be on October 1 to enjoy fans back in socially-distanced circumstances.
“We worked very closely with the clubs to mitigate the risks surrounding that.
“Ultimately, though, against this backdrop of rapidly rising infections, I think people will appreciate now is not the time to do that, to add to the risk of infection spreading by making further easements.”
Whilst Dowden says the government are continuing to look at ways for fans to return safely, it will be a case of getting coronavirus rates back under control before this can happen.
He said: “There are risks associated with that and, at the time, we were making no easements at all from October 1.
“Indeed, we were looking to impose further restrictions.
“Now is not the time to do it.
“I can assure you that I’m working intensively to see when we can do this as soon as it’s safe to do so, once we get the disease under control.
“We’re not sitting on our laurels.
“For example, I’ve set up the Science, Technology and Innovation Group, chaired by David Ross, who is looking at further mitigations to ensure we can do this safely.
“At this moment, against a backdrop of rapidly rising infections – remember, it’s not just in the stadium but the journey to and from – we didn’t feel now was the time to do that.”