Worcester has been dealt a possible multi-million pound blow after its Victorian Christmas Fayre was cancelled amid coronavirus fears.
The event, originally scheduled to take place from December 3-6, normally attracts an estimated 150,000 visitors to the city and contributes £7.3 million to the local economy.
However, Worcester City Council has taken the decision to cancel the fayre this year, saying the risks of letting it go ahead were ‘simply too high’.
Instead, a range of smaller festive attractions across the four December weekends will be arranged, including food markets, a Christmas trail for families and acoustic musicians.
“This is not a decision that we’ve taken lightly; we don’t take any pleasure in announcing the cancellation of this popular event,” said Cllr Adrian Gregson, deputy leader of Worcester City Council.
“However with the Covid pandemic still at large, the risks incurred in allowing this winter event to go ahead were simply too high.
“We are developing a smaller scale programme of Christmas events which will help to attract visitors to the city centre across December, without focusing everything on one weekend as is the case with the Victorian Fayre.”
The Christmas-themed Winter Wonderland in London’s Hyde Park was also recently axed, leading to questions about the Birmingham German Market.
Earlier this month, the organisers of the market said it hoped the hugely-popular event would still be going ahead, with officials monitoring any government updates.