The sky is the limit if you want to launch a high-flying crime-fighting career as a member of a police helicopter crew.
The National Police Air Service (NPAS) is looking to recruit a tactical flight officer based at its Husbands Bosworth base in Leicestershire.
You won’t need to have a helicopter licence for the job, the NPAS says police experience ‘is desirable’.
The NPAS advert says: “Tactical Flight Officers are police constables or police staff and join NPAS from various locations and backgrounds.
“A background in aviation is not required, but relevant policing experience in an operational environment is desirable given the operational policing nature of the role.”
The shift pattern is a fixed four on four off, which equates to two 12-hour days and two 12-hour nights, followed by four rest days.
Key responsibilities include:
- Flying as a crew member in the helicopter and using its specialist equipment safely and effectively
- ‘Tactically navigating’ the helicopter to incidents by reading a map, managing the scene and being ‘spatially aware’
- Carrying out searches, coordinating resources and effectively dealing with emergency situations including command and control of police incidents and resources from the air
- Communicating effectively at all times with the other staff in the helicopter, other air units and officers on the ground
- Prioritising different strands of information from various sources and making sure flight safety measures are followed
- Processing footage and photographs for evidence and providing statements and exhibits
The advert goes on to say: “On occasion, the crew can be called upon to land so the TFOs can assist people in distress / render first aid, or on rare occasions use police powers to arrest where available and necessary.
“You will receive comprehensive training so there is no expectation that you will have previous experience in this area of policing or aviation matters.
“Whilst not in the air, you will be required to work with colleagues to maintain the operational efficiency of the base which will include secondary administrative and base husbandry duties.”
Anyone who wants to apply can click here.