A bar manager has described the chilling moment he saw a man run from the scene of the Birmingham stabbings.
During a two-hour rampage, a 23-year-old man was killed and seven others, aged between 19 and 33, were injured during four separate stabbing incidents in the early hours of Sunday, September 6.
David Nash was working at The Village Inn, located in the heart of Birmingham’s Gay Village in Hurst Street, when he saw the suspect walk past the pub at about 2.20am.
He later saw a casualty being treated for what appeared to be a neck wound and said the suspected attacker fled after members of the public shouted ‘stop him, he’s stabbed somebody’.
View the video above to see footage released by detectives, which shows a man they want to speak to in connection with the attacks.
“Ordinarily it would be time for us to close, so we had just closed the bar,” the operations director for The Village Inn, The Nightingale Club and The Loft Lounge said.
“I was on the street around 2.20am and we heard somebody shout down the street ‘stop him, he’s just stabbed somebody’.
“As soon as somebody shouted ‘stop him’, that’s when he ran off into the area of Sherlock Street.”
Mr Nash said the man was walking in the middle of the road, opposite the bar, adding: “He just looked like an ordinary member of the public in the first instance.
“He was calm, I wouldn’t say he was hurried. He wasn’t looking back. He just walked straight past.
“I couldn’t see any weapon at all. Obviously it was dark, he was in dark clothing from what we could see.
“He didn’t say anything to anybody, as far as I am aware, in the area that we were.”
Mr Nash, who expressed shock and sadness at the stabbings in what is normally a safe area, added: “The emergency services acted very swiftly. They got the area closed down very quickly and reassured people very quickly.
“Unfortunately the world in which live at the moment, this could happen at any time and any place in any part of the country.
“The area is obviously quieter than it would normally be because of Covid.
“So there wasn’t as many people on the street as there would be on a normal Saturday.
“But there wasn’t generally a panic. Nobody was acutely aware that something had happened until the point when the area had an influx of police and armed response vehicles.”
Mr Nash said CCTV of the suspect had been passed to the police, who cordoned off a large stretch of Hurst Street following the attacks.
The sealed-off area was extended this afternoon to include a stretch of pavement opposite the Village Inn.
Business owners said the presence of paramedics stationed at a local leisure complex may have saved lives.
Julia Robinson, the general manager for the Southside business district, which covers the Hurst Street area, said she had witnessed the aftermath of the incidents.
She said: “It happened very quickly.
“Thankfully we have got a safe space project that is based in the Arcadian that has trained paramedics.
“Luckily we had trained paramedics that could come out straight away to deal with this and we are really thankful for colleagues at St John Ambulance for stepping up.
“The police were here almost immediately in the aftermath.”