A man who was pulled from the wreckage of a burning car following a dramatic smash in Erdington is being sought by police.
West Midlands Police urged witnesses to come forward after mobile phone footage captured a white-shirted person being carried from the heavily-damaged Audi S3 in Fort Parkway.
Medics confirmed to BirminghamLive that they were called to the crash site but said crews did not find anyone requiring medical attention at around 11pm on Tuesday, May 26.
Dozens of concerned motorists can be seen outside the crashed motor following the successful rescue of the unknown person. You can watch the clip above.
A spokesman for the force said: “We are asking for info after a car hit a lamppost on Fort Parkway near to Fort Dunlop, Birmingham, at around 11pm on May 26.
“Did you witness anything?
“Footage of the car on fire has recently appeared on social media, which you may have seen. Quote log 5065 of 26 May.”
A spokesman for WMP also said no arrests have been made.
The video begins with the occupant of a passing car in disbelief at the horrendous crash. They can be heard pleading with his driver to speed up as they pass the flames.
Pictures from the wreckage showed just how close one of the occupants came to serious injury – with a pole impaled in the underside of the car – and going through the front passenger seat.
West Midlands Police’s Traffic Unit said it was ‘mind boggling’ how both drivers had escaped serious injuries.
They also blasted the ‘irresponsible driver’ who was believed to have been taking part in a ‘street gathering’.
It is not known what happened to the driver but the force’s press office was contacted for more information. The video has also been shared with them.
West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed they attended the crash site but said there was no patients at the scene upon their arrival.
There was a spike in reports of reckless motorists driving at excessive speeds across Birmingham and the Black Country during lockdown with thrill-seekers turning the roads into a racetrack.
One boy racer told BirminghamLive that the state of the roads at the time were “ideal.”
The High Court injunction has been in place since 2015 and was created to prevent street racing, convoys and other activities.
Anyone caught flouting the injunction, which has been extended until 2021, could be arrested and have their much-loved motors crushed or seized.
A two-year prison sentence could also be given to any adult found violating the injunction – while younger people can be fined and have their assets seized.
A West Midlands Police spokesman said previously: “Officers are aware that street cruising has been an issue across Birmingham and the wider West Midlands for a long time.
“A High Court order bans people from taking part in car cruising, including speeding, racing and driving in convoy, performing stunts and causing an obstruction on a public highway across Birmingham, Solihull and the Black Country.
“The dangerous driving and excessive noise from car cruising results in a number of calls to police and the force is continuing to develop a number of plans to prosecute offenders.
“The force is investing significant resources into obtaining car cruising injunctions which attempt to control this behaviour, we also plan extra resources when we believe this activity is most likely.
“Our traffic officers carry out regular operations across the force in response to concerns raised by communities.
“These are also now supported by police drone pilots who gather information on offenders.”