The landlord of the Ridge and Furrow in Gloucester has reiterated the pub rules after people “could not follow clear and basinc instructions”.
The Abbeydale pub opened its doors again on Saturday months after pubs and restaurants across the country were ordered to close in March.
On Super Saturday, after a day in which people “disregarded” the rules, with people walking through wrong entrances, ordering at the bar or with men walking into the ladies’ toilets, a mass brawl involving “60 people” broke out.
On Sunday Gavin Clark, landlord of the Glevum Way pub, said: “I spent most of the day babysitting people and telling them what to do. Some people didn’t like being told what to do and were getting in my face.
“It got worse and worse when people got drunk.”
After he called police officers to help maintain law and order, Mr Clark said he closed the pub. Moments later a fight broke out.
Now he has said that “too many people had utter disregard for this and are not welcome in the pub”.
He added: “If there is any repeat of this then the pub will be closing for a prolonged period.”
On the pub’s Facebook page he listed the rules in full and said: “I do my very best to enforce the rules and personal attacks are embarrassing for those that do it. Lets move on, not create a big list of insults, and continue what had previously been a good vibe. I do not want me or my staff to be in the position we were put in yesterday ever again.”
He thanked the members of public who had given him and his staff support.
What the landlord of the Ridge and Furrow said in full
Further to yesterdays goings on this will be the only post made about the situation. This is not an opportunity to troll or an opportunity for debate. Following a tirade of personal attacks which ultimately came out because people could not follow clear and basic instructions, there are further measures in place for today. We live in a blame culture and even though I and staff spent our entire days yesterday reiterating and trying to enforce the rules, too many people had utter disregard for this and are not welcome in the pub. That is a total lack of respect. If there is any repeat of this then the pub will be closing for a prolonged period. These are the rules until further notice:
– Absolutely no standing in the bar areas and you must be seated at all times except for when at the bar.
– One person per table to go to the bar.
– If you are sitting outside you will not be allowed to enter the pub unless using the toilet. This was in place yesterday but people chose to ignore this. This will be strengthened today.
– The restaurant and main bar will be open.
– If you are sitting outside you must order via the app. This was causing delays yesterday because of people requesting to pay on collection, which took card machines away from the bar, which led to delays at the bar. This option has been removed and so you must order via the app and pay via the app if you are outside and your order will be brought out to you. This will drastically decrease any waiting times.
– No groups outside or inside of more than 6 people. Again, this isn’t an unreasonable rule. Any people congregating will be told to leave.
– 4 people will be allowed to stand in the queue at the bar at any one time in two queues of two people, a metre apart. If 4 people are already waiting you will be asked to sit down until there are below 3 people.
– Total numbers will be monitored at all times.
The above will be fully controlled by security staff. I will be monitoring queuing and toilet usage myself.
The restaurant is open and we are providing roasts as standard between 12-4pm, and then normal menu 4-7.30pm. We are continuing with deliveries and collections for roasts, please call 07923301843 if you would like to order, or to book a table in the restaurant.
Today [Sunday] we are open from 12 until 8pm.
I do my very best to enforce the rules and personal attacks are embarrassing for those that do it. Lets move on, not create a big list of insults, and continue what had previously been a good vibe. I do not want me or my staff to be in the position we were put in yesterday ever again. Any negative comments will be deleted and you’ll be banned so lets have a good day and hope to see you today. Thanks to so many of you who have messaged me privately offering words of support, the people who can see what we are up against and have had to go through.